Wednesday, July 18, 2007

In Which I take a Sledgehammer and destroy his prized possession

Hubby is a bug enthusiast.

No he doesn't run around with a magnifying glass examining the little creatures that roam the earth. No , he likes a different kind of bug.

The Volkswagon Beetle.

In fact I'd venture to say he's rather obsessed. When I first met hubby I can't tell you how many VW shows, swamp meets and races I went to to appease him. After about the umpteenth show, I finally got to the point where I realized it was more than ok for us to resume our seperate hobbies. Not only was it ok, it was downright necessary for me to maintain my sanity.

For me a car is something I drive. Sure I can appreciate a fast car or a pimped out ride but overall a car is ultimately just something to get me from point A to point B.

But cars are hubby's passion.

Over the years he's owned a couple of different VW bugs. He spends days at a time working on these things. Literally days I tell you. I recall one time he spent the entire weekend switching the steering column from the left side to the right side. Other such times he got up at 7:00 a.m. and was still out in the garage at 1:00 a.m. just tinkering around with his car. Tinkering around with it and getting frustrated and traveling back and forth to the autoparts store.

I don't get it. But I generally keep quiet because I respect his love for them.

Until he bought it. The bane of my existence.

A custom 63 Volkswagon Beetle. Sure, it looks cool and all with its cherry red body kit and blue flame adorned hood.

When he takes it for a drive it definitely draws attention. Which of course hubby just loves.

Over time, he's spent countless hours lowering it, removing the door handles and wiring it so the doors open by remote control, putting a custom racing engine in it and doing small cosmetic things such as adding "eyebrows" above the headlights.

But, here's the thing,even with all this work his prized possession is hardly ever running. In the past 3 years he's only driven it about 4 times. Otherwise, it sits in my garage in some state of disrepair taking up valuable space that could be used for say... a working car.

And to make matters worse when it does run its loud, so loud that it rattles windows. I know hubby guns that engine on purpose.

Over time, he's purchased a couple of different engines , a carburetor, heating unit and who knows what the hell else.
So several hundred dollars and countless hours of time spent on this thing it hasn't been running for the better part of 1 year now.

I really don't get it.


And yesterday when I got home I saw a bill for $250 from a towing company. For towing that sucker 4 miles no less.

Oh, I was furious. I told him he just needed to get rid of it once and for all.

"I know, I should shouldn't I ? " he says in a voice I was almost inclined to believe.

"But then I'm going to need to get a boat," he says calmly.

*Sigh*

I f*ckin' give up!

15 comments:

Butrfly Garden said...

Oh, man! The Boat is coming up on our list, too. In fact, it was NEXT on HIS list...until I ever-so-sweetly reminded him of my bare left hand. Now, it's #3 (or maybe #2 in his head - I guess I mentioned the RING, but not the wedding). Anyhow, he doesn't like doing the car stuff, I'm kind of glad (until I need something done!), because I grew up with *car people* and my yards were always thisclose to being a junkyard.

Jennifer said...

We have a boat that has been sitting in our garage for 8 years. Rarely gets used, takes up space, costs us insurance...I hint that it should be sold.

Maybe the sledgehammer would be a better "hint."

~Jennifer said...

lol. Oh, I'm sorry, and at the same time ever so grateful that my hubby is not at all into cars (or boats).

Anonymous said...

Yup. Those hobbies get them every time...

My hub used to play softball, that was his hobby ...then all of his friends turned into big babies and couldn't play anymore because their wives made them stop...I'm still looking to get him outta the house...

Never had a hands on hobby!

Lollie said...

There was only one guy I've ever wanted to kill in my life. He was our next door neighbour who used to live next to us when we were living in the California apartment with the bedroom in the front of the building. Right next to our neighbour's driveway. That housed his open front VW Bug. With super chargers or some shit. That he gunned at 6:42 every GD morning. That I left a polite note on once. That I followed with a not so polite note. That I nearly followed by a homemade bomb (fortunately for him - and me - he moved out that day).

Whiskeymarie said...

Bug- yes.
Loud, loud, LOUD engine? No.

I'm torn on what to tell you...

moosh in indy. said...

But it has blue flames and eyebrows!

Anonymous said...

He's infected with "mantarditis"

Mitch McDad said...

Well....we do love our hobbies, don't we.

Ann(ie) said...

ugh. My hubby is convinced he needs a new truck. He sold his truck to get a more family friendly SUV and now he's sad and "needs" a new truck.

I'm the one that wants the boat!

=P

shauna said...

My hub does baseball cards. Thousands, upon thousands, of baseball cards. In fact, for Christmas one year I bought him an old card catologue from a library and it's completely filled. Every. drawer. I might take a match to it someday...

Ally said...

Oh Good lord, now I appreciate my hobby-less hubby even more.

Dana said...

In our house it's Land Rovers. At least you have German engineering on your side. sigh.

Cherann said...

Boys must have toys!!

Biddy said...

i can't believe i never commented on this post...

my dad is also a bug enthusiast.

oh the drama!