Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Why stores should just stick to playing Muzak

The day started off normally enough. I intended on making a quick stop off at the store to grab some breakfast and then be on my way.

I found the cereal aisle, grabbed some oatmeal and turned to leave. As I started to head toward the checkout counter I heard an old Stevie Wonder tune from back in my grade school days overhead on the store's sound system. It brought back a flood of memories.

Smiling to myself I decided to stay a bit longer and finish listening to the song. I walked up and down a few aisles singing along quietly to myself and well if you were the shelf stocker in the hair care aisle yes I did wiggle my arse a little. What can I say, I was really feelin it.

As I'm reliving the good old days leisurely strolling down aisles, lawd help me I spotted a 40% off sign in the clothing section and it was beckoning to me. I'd just begun perusing the sale racks when my song ended.
If you're wondering if I left like a responsible person would have done you'd be wrong. Way wrong. It was 40% off and well I my kids have to have clothes.
15 minutes and $42 worth of merchandise later I remembered that it was in fact a work day and I was supposed to be at work in half an hour (but was about 45 minutes away).
Damn that store and their tricky ways. I know they purposely turned that song on to keep me in there and cause me to spend more money.

It couldn't possibly be my fault.

Yes, I know I'm kind of disgusted with myself too.

17 comments:

BiPolar Wife said...

I am a SW fan also...grew up in the 70s...!!! I love it when I hear a good song like that in a store when my kids are with me. They LOVE (they are 16, 14 and 12...just try to get a mental picture of their enjoyment!) to see mom dance and sing in the middle of the Walgreen's!!!

Biddy said...

hahahaha

when i was in africa we would go to the grocery store for one thing and come out hours later because we were too busy dancing and singing in the aisles to all the oldies they played

MommasWorld said...

Here I was feeling sorry for you not going to Blogher. Then I find out you are hanging with WM this weeked! Now I'm jealous. :-) Have a great time!

Stacey said...

Mommasworld- my luck it is a changing. I am so excited it isn't even funny. I so heart the other WM.

Brillig said...

15 minutes and $42 later? Sounds like a BARGAIN, both in time and money. Work Schmwork. Well done, says I.

Claire said...

Was it "I Was Made to Love Her?" I can't not sing that song when I hear it, no matter where I am.

Gen said...

LOL! Oh man, they've got you're number, eh?

Stacey said...

CDP - It was "That Girl".

Anonymous said...

I hope you were singing out loud. Have a great time with the other WM and you two....try to stay out of trouble huh?

Ann(ie) said...

They have REALLY good sale racks at that store! I've been sucked in, too. Many a time. But, I had no good musak to dance too while I was spending all my money. *snif* I too think we might be twins.....I'm just wondering how you came almost a full year later????? Let me ponder that over a drinky drink this evening. ;) xo.

Maureen said...

Oh yeah... Stevie's the best. Reminds me of our school's Europe trip when Songs In The Key Of Life was out. Wow, that was over 30 years ago when I was 17. Gad.

Mike said...

I hate it when you are jamming to a song at the market, and right when it gets to the chorus it cuts out and you hear, "Clean up...aisle four...clean up!"

The market is not the best place for music, but hey, for us parents sometimes it is our only chance to hear stuff!

Whiskeymarie said...

I got sucked in yesterday to an old Squeeze song. I bought stuff I don't even NEED.

Alex Elliot said...

That sounds like a good deal to me! I have to say though that I had to forbid myself from looking in the Target $1 bins because those are not a good deal and suck up my time and money. Plus the stuff inevitably falls apart within 24 hours.

Nauntie Lush said...

I hate that trickery. I try to tune it out but to no avail. When I am there with Bacon I can't hear it, when I am alone I have PTSS so I am so shocked to be alone that i get lost for hours and then spend way too much money on 40% off items because I wasn't distracted! I dance too. Who cares who sees me?

Claire said...

Oh, I LOVE "That Girl". Not as much as "I Was Made to Love Her" or "Just Enough for the City", but love it!

Suzie said...

I get so lost in those big store especially Target. It was Target wasnt it. They are evil. They swallow time.