Thursday, July 10, 2008

I'm not a writer, I don't even play one on TV * Updated

I've been wanting to write this post for some time after a discussion I had with another blogger about why we blog. With Blogher fast approaching now seemed a fitting time.

As I get out in to the blogosphere more and more I've noticed that many bloggers aspire to be published writers (outside of what they publish on their blogs of course)and I respect and admire that. But me, not so much. I have no desire whatsoever to publish anything. Ever. Besides the fact that I can't punctuate worth a damn I just don't think I possess that creative talent and frankly even if I did I don't think I have the wherewithal to take the time required to actually pen a full length book.

I blog because it's fun (most of the time anyway). It's also,as many of you can attest to quite cathartic. As my subtitle suggests, this is my attempt to preserve my sanity one post at a time. I love that on this blog, I can be real, I can let it all hang out, I don't have to be some professional, stuffy workplace version of me. I can just be me. What you see on this blog is what you get. I don't pretend to be someone I'm not.

In blogging, I've also found a great sense of community. Sure there are cliques which I don't get. I thought we'd all left that kind of thing back in high school but ultimately, I think we're all there to support one another. Some of the most amazing words of encouragement I've received when in need have been from individuals I've never met IRL. That to me is incredible and wonderful and crazy all at the same time. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I love blogging, just to blog, not as a means to anything else. That's not to say if I was propelled in to bloglebrity status and was then able to quit my job and blog full time I wouldn't jump at the chance. But I'm quite alright knowing that the chances of that are infinitesimal.

So what was my point you might ask ? It's not to insult or demean anyone who blogs as a means to acheiving a larger writing goal it was merely to state that I am not one of them.

I blog for fun and nothing more.

Tell me something why do you do it ?

*Updated to add- If you are a blogger that aspires to be a published author do you think that those of us that aren't writers cause you to not be taken seriously. Do tell. I wanna know! Oh and feel free to go anonymous if it means you'll be truthful.

22 comments:

followthatdog said...

I started blogging as a way to keep track of all the cute, funny, stunningly gross things my kids did. Kind of like a journal crossed with a scrapbook since I don't do either of those things in real life. But now, I have decided it is a small part of my larger plot to take over the world.

Jumpin' On My Last Nerve said...

I absolutely agree with you. I started my blog as a way to keep family informed of the craziness with our twins. I would occasionally interject some stories as a way to vent and now the blog is a combo of both. I have NO aspirations of becoming a famous writer like many of our blog colleagues, but I truly enjoy reading what they right.

Stacey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BiPolar Wife said...

I started blogging because I was an editorial columnist for six years and my editor NEVER let me say the kind of stuff I can now blog about!!!!

Unknown said...

It started as a way to document my kids sayings and doings and since I live on my computer for work it was easy to do. I was never good at the pen and paper journal. It then evolved to a form of therapy as well...

Not Afraid to Use It said...

My family blog is for the cutesy stuff. My other blog is for me. To say what I want to say. Esp. about my MIL. Blech! LOL

Stacia said...

I started blogging because I have friends all over the world and it was a way to keep in touch. Now I'm pregnant, and it'll probably be the baby book as well. My family doesn't know where to find my blog, and I'd like to keep it that way!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I have had this same discussion before. I teach grammar and writing.....I use my blog as a "slap in the face" of that(oh..and the whole preserving sanity thing)...on a daily basis. I love writing in such a casual manner. I don't have anything against people who look for more...but I don't. I don't have advertisements, I don't do reviews...I just mainly bitch and moan on a regular basis. For me..that is enough.

However, like you, I am NOT opposed to stardom! I was destined to be a celebrity...all I need is a chance! (hee-hee)

Suzie said...

I am blogging because I am lonely. I work I take car of the kids I have no community anymore I never get to see my friends. When I blog I meet people and I dont feel quiet so alone...wow...sniff...that sounds pretty sad...poor me

odat_kim said...

I blog to avoid the phone and email updates to friends. Just read the blog, you'll know what's up :)
Kim

Alex Elliot said...

I started my blog because I was so frustrated with the lack of support for moms who weren't able to breastfeed. For example knowing about bottle nipple stages, how to choose formula, etc. Basically things that seem basic, but yet as a new parent you really would have no reason to know that stuff. Mine evolved to just telling parenting lessons that I think are funny that people don't really talk about very much as well as just general ramblings. I have to say that while I have mixed feelings about telling people about my blog, it has been wonderful in terms of family because basically most days of the week they know what the kids are up to.

Mike said...

I think the community aspect of blogging is neat...I know my wife has made some real connections with people and I'm starting to as well. We also plan to print out everything we have ever blogged and have it available for our daughter to read later if she wishes to. That's kind of neat!

Anonymous said...

Hi! First time visitor to your site via a google shared item from one of the folks I read...

Anyway....I blog, and I hope to one of these days be published. But I have never given any thought to whether or not bloggers who blog for fun cause bloggers who hope to be published not to be taken seriously. I doubt it, though.

I blog for fun as well (and maybe just a teensy bit of side income), and I think there is room for everyone in the blogosphere.

Doozie said...

I blog so I can shock the crap out of people with my lewd and crude humor. I also started blogging as an outlet for my feelings, but it became an epic adventure of which I see no end

Nauntie Lush said...

I blog to get shit out. I like it. Maybe if I become famous because of it that would be awesome. But maybe not. I mean did you see Dooce on the Today show? She totally should have kicked Kathy Lee in the jaw. I am not sure that I could take that much criticism without falling into a heap. I think all bloggers are writers. I think that the ones that don't do it to be famous are the truest writers of all.

*ps my word verification was very close to va-jay-jay

Ann(ie) said...

I blog to get shit out as well. I also enjoy writing, but have zero interest in stardom or meeting Kathie Lee. But, I would consider being a co-host on The View for a day. I think I'd fit right in and I'd enjoy kicking Elisabeth Hasselbitch in the teeth. ;)

Melain said...

You speak for me here. I love the community most, I think. I feel safe putting myself out there. Getting postive comments and feedback after a soul exposure is extremely gratifying.

Claire said...

What a great post.
I blog because I do love to write, but I don't know that I really aspire to be a professional writer. You know, amateur artists, actors, musicians, etc. , have always had a chance to do what they do and have a small audience, but before the advent of blogging, amateur writers didn't have the same outlet. Basically, I do it because it's fun, and I like the community I've become a part of.

Lollie said...

I have a few reasons. I originally started blogging because I was comfortable on the cmputer and thought this would be a good way to mark points in my life that I, or my children, would wantto read in the distant future. Sort of a diary if you will. Then I discovered commenters and realized that the funnier I wrote, the better comments I got. I like to exercise my funny, so that has worked out for us all. Sarcasm needs to be nurtured and I like that side of myself.

Anonymous said...

I've always been a writer, but I didn't start my blog as a means of becoming a published writer. Nope. I had no idea about the community or that it can (rarely) open the doors to more "published" writing.

I started to tell funny stories about the kids mostly. And just to flex my writing muscles.

Anonymous said...

Here here! I blog because it's fun. I like the community, and I enjoy telling stories. But I don't blog every day, and I don't believe that I could make any money from this gig.

So as I head to BlogHer, I intend on just having fun. :-)

you da mom! said...

i am a published author, and that part of my life certainly has nothing to do with blogging. i'm completely anonymous when it comes to blogging. i don't want people knowing who i am or being able to google me! btw, i didn't even know you lived in seattle! i'm so jealous. next time we'll have to meet up!