Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Love In an Elevator

Someone please tell me that there is more of an available dating pool than the workplace.

I have to hope so, because dating in the workplace can often be disastrous . Working with someone you've recently become romantically involved with can cause a whole host of problems especially when the relationship ends and you and your ex-partner hate the sight of one another yet are continually forced to see one another in the halls.

Believe me, I've seen those things go sour. One such coupling of two young students resulted in a sexual harassment claim from the dumper against the dumpee. It was ugly folks. Very ugly!

I personally can't imagine working with hubby. I think the reason I love him so much is because we don't work together.

Anyone who says "I could spend every waking hour with my partner" flat out lies. Even the most insanely in love couple needs their time apart. I mean c'mon lets be real here.

So, I arrived at work this morning at the same time as Mike and Maggie two students who were previously unknown to one another prior to working here. We all boarded the elevator together. Seconds in to the ride Mike handed something to Maggie then continued to stand a mere millimeters from her face .

Wow, I thought Mike really doesn't have any respect for Maggie’s personal space. He must be making her feel really uncomfortable.

Then I heard it. Lips smacking together.

Did they just kiss? I’m thinking. Or am I still sleeping and having one of those dreams where you think you've gotten up and are at work (and then freak when you realize you're still in bed in your pjs).

Then they did it again. Eeew...get a room, Uhh hello,yeah hi. Hi Worker Mommy standing right here.

I was a bit surprised at their boldness. I would think they would want to keep their new romance quiet and perhaps not publicize it in front of HR...but they are of course entitled to do whatever they wish.

Of course I'm not opposed to kissing and I’m not a complete grinch. If this is what they want then I wish them well.

But damn, all I could think of was here we go again - another couple that met on the job and are both going to wind up in my office later when the shit goes awry
*sigh*

19 comments:

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

I couldn't work with my husband, either.

I'm okay with office romances. But making out in the elevator? Seriously. Yeah, they're mature enough to make that relationship last. snort!

Cherann said...

I could work with my husband, but I don't think he could work with me.

I tried the whole office romance thing. Doesn't work work for me either. I'm not against it though.

Stacey said...

right... not against the romance so much as I am the slobbering all over one another while I'm in the elevator.

and of course the thought of another hellish harassment issue...yeah not lovin that

Rice said...

I have been there and done that. It is STILL uncomfortable. He went on to marry someone else from the workplace and it is so uncomfortable.
Thankfully he transferred but I still have dealings with the little terd.

soccer mom in denial said...

That elevator description - and your reaction - was great.

Butrfly Garden said...

The Man always tells me we'll never work together (I've threatened to apply for the CAD position). His whole workplace is full of families. Like, dad gets a job and gets mom one there, and then son is old enough to work and then they hire his girlfriend, who becomes his wife. And then...someone gets up on the wrong side of the bed and the whole plant might as well shut down.

I hope they fall madly in love and never break up. And I hope the smoochfests subside.

Brillig said...

Hahaha. So stinking hilarious. I love that they just went at it with you standing right there!

(Clearly another example of manners-less-ness in elevators from your earlier post! ahahahaha)

Stacey said...

I know Brill I thought the very same thing. What is it with me and "manner-less" people in elevators ?

Ally said...

Ugh. I hate elevators. There are no clear rules and people behave in the strangest ways. Yuck.

Southern Fried Mom said...

You don't work at Seattle Grace, do you? On Grey's Anatomy, they're always going at it on elevators with co-workers....

Anonymous said...

THat is poor manners and unprofessional in my opinion and I probably would have made a smart alec comment.

I agree about couples, it bugs me when they act like they are joined at the hip and aren't capable of being individuals

Stacey said...

Southern Fried Mom - Seattle Grace , Ha. If only.

Funny thing is my workplace is related to a hospital.
Maybe thats just the kind of thing that goes on in hospital type environments. Who'da thunk ?

Mike Minzes said...

Great blog!! I will be back for more

-0-0-

Anonymous said...

Yep, another woman who couldn't work with her DH! He would drive me nuts.

Yuck at the elevator kiss! Office romances never work - at least in my experience!

Jennifer said...

My parents own a business together and have worked together for over 20 yrs.

They don't like each other anymore!

Stacey said...

So funny Jennifer :)

Hubby and I might be able to make a go of it for a few months but then we'd want to claw one another's eyes out after that.

Lollie said...

I worked with my first husband in the ballet company. It worked out pretty well, but leaving the stuff at the "office" NEVER happened. We actually found refuge in often taking separate vacations.

Then when he retired we just plain separated.

Heather said...

why do cubicles make people so horny?

bgirl said...

clearly i am riding in the wrong elevators...