Thursday, October 11, 2007

Is this Corny ?

If you're reading this I'm assuming you're here because you may kinda like me a little (or here by accident...if thats the case go on your merry way...nothing to see here - I don't ever talk about spanking hubby, or hot mexican cleavage, or farting on demand or any of the other things that bring some of you crazy Google searchers here so move along)

Now then, may I ask you, my bloggy friends, a favor ?

You see I'm kind of known as the party planner around my workplace. It was one of those "other duties as assigned" that I've accepted and happily incorporated in to my job description. I pride myself on throwing a killer party - or at least as killer as a party can be in the workplace. Let see, there was virgin Margaritas and a mariachi band on Cinco de Mayo, catered foofy sit down "Holiday luncheon" in December and then there's Halloween.
Halloween is really big in my workplace and I just can't disappoint. It's always a potluck and employees always come in costume but it's the the theme and entertainment that they look forward to. In prior years, I've done a Fear Factor party a la the now cancelled television show where I made employees compete in three daring stunts for a prize, a Wheel of Torture party, for which hubby custom made a carnival style wheel, which employees spun landing on either , trivia , mystery or torture. Oh what fun it was to torture my co-workers.

But this year... I'm at a loss. You see I'm working on a new system implementation and all the related communications for benefits open enrollment which starts in 2 weeks, I'm preparing for salary increases, I've got the walk in folks that sometimes ask one question and then want to sit around and chat, I've got a 1 hour commute each way, evening classes for the twins, preschool jobs I'm responsible for, dinner to fix, a hubby to service, clothes to wash, blogging to do, a dog to walk, blogs to read....you know I'm a busy kind of gal (there now do you feel sufficiently sorry for me?)
That being said...please help, I need ideas for this years Halloween festivities. The best I could come up with is Guess the Character. As guests arrive we'd slap a nametag on their backs of a Halloween themed character. They have to ask others questions that can only be answered yes/no to determine who they are. The quickest three or four correct guessers will get a prize. Hmmm....too corny ?

Don't like it ? That's fine. I'm not entirely sure I do either. That being said it's fine to trash my idea all to hell but please, if you do leave me a better one in the comments.

*Disclaimer - I will claim your idea as my own. You will get no credit whatsoever. I mean really , I'm not that nice. I can't just tell the world that my bloggy friend came up with this idea. Where is the coolness in that? Besides then they'll want to know my blog address and then they'll read my archives and then they'll see that I've been known to blog when I should be working and then I'll get fired and then...C'mon do you really want to be responsible for me becoming unemployed? Then I'll have to be known as UM. Do you really want that on your conscience ?

19 comments:

Biddy said...

lmao i love the disclaimer! i think it's a great idea! oh! and at target, they have a mold to make a floating hand for the punch bowl...i think they have ice trays with eyeballs in them too..

fun!

Claire said...

Sorry, WM, I'm at a total loss here. My parties never have themes. I just make sure there's plenty of food and more importantly drink, and things seem to go pretty well. I'll check back to see what people come up with (and will also reserve the right to claim their ideas as my own)

Anonymous said...

We are having at at work "wear your favorite book character". We also will have as a game "guess the character" from popular children's books. You write about 10 clues for 10 different children's characters and whoever gets the most right - wins.

In defense of the somewhat lameness of the game, it's a library :)

Virtualsprite said...

Love the disclaimer, too! And since I'm often plagarized by my own coworkers, this won't seem odd at all. :-)

What about a classic horror movie theme? You could still do the character thing. Everyone could come dressed as a classic horror character, have "themed" food like Beans and Frankenstein (or something...), serve "blood" punch, have classic movies playing, horror movie trivia... maybe?

Anonymous said...

our company is doing the theme/game as Deal or No Deal

Southern Fried Mom said...

How about "Celebrity Train Wrecks?" You could decorate with debris & chaos everywhere (like a real train wreck & have a celebrity trivia contest...maybe even have a contest for the best theme-related costume. I can just see all the tiny-dog toting crackwhores now! Good Luck...and I love love love party planning---e-mail me!

Butrfly Garden said...

I don't think the guess the character game is bad.

I don't have any good ideas for other games, either, though.

Are you dressing up this year? I'm going to be a celebrity train wreck, southern fried mom! But not one of the barbie ones. (Cue mysterious music...)

Ann(ie) said...

I like guess the character idea!! I really do in fact insert disclaimer here I might be stealing it!!!! =)

We have not come up with any decent ideas in our dept so we settled for a sock hop/50's theme with a 50's food day. Might be lame. Probably will be lame. But, I'll be there with my jello mold in tow. ugh.

Maureen said...

Forget about guessing "characters..."

How about "Guess the Co-Worker"? People can act out the weird / irritating idiosyncrasies of fellow employees and others have to guess who they are. Hopefully you won't get the Boss's name.

Just kidding. That'll get you fired faster than the blogging on worktime thing...

Anonymous said...

Admittedly I don't come bearing party ideas, but please let me know what you come up with so I can play the same game at my kids' birthday party next week. OR, maybe I should come up with the game for the toddler party, and you can use it for your work party :)

Nora said...

I always thought it would be fun to have a bridesmaid dress party, where everyone had a second chance to wear a hideous dress or tux.

Or, I went to a "fancy pants" party once where we all had to dress up in crazy wacko pants.

Enjoy!

Whiskeymarie said...

I got nothin'.
I can whip up a mean dinner party, but themed party, no sir.
Sorry.
Hope I don't have to be the only WM in the blogosphere anytime soon.

Lollie said...

I'm off to a Come As Your Favourite Rock Groupie party this weekend. Leaves lots of room for creativity.

Fourier Analyst said...

At school we did a "Dress as Your Favorite Book Character" and the teachers did a party later that was "Dress as your favorite Movie Character". I've also had a Harry Potter themed party, a Space Alien themed party and a "Make Up your Own Harry Potter Character (No Muggles Allowed" party. I also went to a Lord of the Rings party" one year which had some fantastic creatures! I heard about a "Survivor" (or is it called Robinson Carusoe?) party with fantastic "tasks" and interestingly named nibbles. Pirates are also a fun theme with a lot of creative things that can come from the Disney films! And of course a "treasure hunt" is then obligatory!
Good Luck darlin'! I hope you have been sufficiently inspired!!

Ally said...

I'm with Maureen that you should forget the Guess the Characters game and go with Guess the Co-Worker. That sounds like much more fun.

Alex Elliot said...

What about a party where everyone dressed like their favorite Halloween costume as a child. So if your favorite costume was Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, you would come as Dorothy.

Cherann said...

I think you should do a pin the tail on the donkey.

Then put the boss's picture on the head of a donkey...

This would be a great way to get promoted.

Anonymous said...

We go crazy for Halloween at our office as well. Last year we did an Emergency Room theme ... and people came dressed as though they'd just been in a terrible car accident, had an amputated leg, we had doctors and nurses that ranged from sexy to quite horrible ... it was really fun and greusome!!

I decorated with the clear glass jars like you would find in the doctors office with cotton balls - only I had eye balls, intestines, spiders, guts, etc. inside of them. We don't typically do games, but our potlock is a contest to see who comes up with the food that best fits the theme. The winner last year carved a pumpkin to look like a person, and had spaghetti inside of it's belly so that it looked like it was its insides were coming out.

This year we're doing a graveyard theme ...

Hope this helps?

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

That is the best disclaimer.
I am NO help. In fact, you had me looking at the calendar thinking, "Is Halloween coming up?" I'm such a sorry excuse for a mom. *hangs head in shame*