Thursday, January 10, 2008

Scrapbooking Hell

I am not a scrapbooking kind of person. Never have been. Never will be. Now this doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the beauty of a well constructed project but generally I just don’t have the patience or the inclination.

Thus you can imagine my delight when I received a package last month from my sister in law in Texas with an invitation to her baby shower, and a bunch of stickers and such to make not one but two scrapbook pages for her.
Included in the package was a brief letter telling me that I didn’t have to make both if I didn’t want to but that I should send them by January 11.
Did she really want me, me who can barely manage to download photos to her computer in a timely fashion, to create a scrapbook page and actually mail it to her in 1 month.

I sighed and figured I had a ton of time to figure out how to get out of making the pages create the pages.

I received the package in early December and its been lying on the table all month. Taunting me... making me feel awful for not giving it its due attention.

I’ve gone over to it a few times in the last few weeks and pulled out the contents of the envelope trying to envision how the finished project could look. In the end, though, I just became frustrated because dammit I just didn’t want to do it. Besides, there was tons of other things to be done that needed to take precedence over this chore task. I mean the lint in my belly button isn’t just going to pick itself.

But, as the deadline is looming around the corner, last night I pulled out the contents once again hoping they’d magically make themselves decorative and pretty. As luck would have it, amidst all the stickers, foam frames and Ariel themed craft paper I saw an actual completed page

Now mind you, it’s a sheet of plain white paper covered with Princess stickers and glittery letters upside down and backward spelling out "words" like JRBKFFT,DZOT and my daughter J’s name but that’s something right ?

You think if I send it back to my sister-in-law she’ll know the difference?
What if I include a little letter that says “Isn’t this cute? J wanted to make the pages for her new baby cousin”

I mean it’s not like she’d call me back and say “Are you kidding me? You let your 4 year old get in to the package and couldn’t even be bothered to complete a page yourself. It looks like total shit”

Uh, at least I hope not anyway.

19 comments:

Life As I Know It said...

HA! I'm right there with you. I've never scrapbooked, and don't really get the appeal. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Ann(ie) said...

ditto to comment above.

Anonymous said...

No, she'll be thrilled to receive it. All those hormones raging through her. It's after she's had the baby that she'll realize what you did :)

Butrfly Garden said...

I have a bag full of scrapbooking stuff. I planned on making one for Bella, but never got the inclination. I liked scrapblog.com, where you do everything digitally. Because it was easy. :D

If someone sent me something like that, I think if I received that, I wouldn't be pissed. She might even think it was sweet.

Claire said...

I'd be happy to receive that, too. My son wants me to buy the "craft-lite cutter" thing that's always advertised on TV, but I will not need it, as I plan to keep my never-scrapbooked/never-will streak intact.

tripleZmom said...

I think you're a genius.

I tried to scrapbook with my first's baby book.

For the second baby, I got a fill-in baby book.

Sarahviz said...

Way to go! I hate scrapbooking too--unless I can totally copy an already completed page (and thus steal someone else's idea). I'm soooo not creative.

Unknown said...

I think that it is a GREAT sentiment...make it look like you TOTALLY planned it that way!

YAY, way to go. ;)

Slackermommy said...

Before I got to the end of the post I was going to suggest that you let your kids do it. I think it's cute that your daughter did it. At least you sending her something considering that is a lot to ask of others.

Heather said...

Wow. That's a lot to ask guests to do.

Whiskeymarie said...

I hate getting invitations with "projects".

And, I am so clueless about this whole scrapbooking thing that I didn't even realize that "scrapbooking" was a verb.

Silly, stupid me.

Lollie said...

Yeah - fake that it was totally planned "your baby did it for her baby"...how sweet!

Maureen said...

Well, I AM a scrapbooker, and I know she'll love it... but be careful; your daughter just might get you into scrapbooking like mine did ;)

(it's great fun to do together and she's 16; we have a night out a week cropping together and love it).

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I say it is worth a try! These kids need to be useful for something! :) WHy not being a scapegoat.....I know I have used mine for that very reason more than a few times!

I actually enjoy scrapbooking...except I NEVER have time to do it...so it actually becomes YET another thing in my life that I don't have time to complete...and therefore it tends to ADD to my stress! :)

Sugar Kane said...

Who sends an assignment with an invite? I've never understood the appeal of scrapbooking, but to each his own I guess.

MommasWorld said...

My Sister-In-Law gave me a beautiful scrap book for Christmas. She is totally into the scrapbooking thing. You wouldn't believe the three jumbo books she made from a family weekend away. I don't have that kind of time on my hands.

I am the sort that will put comments on the back of a photo and slip it into a photo album. "Snow White's First day at the ball park. Mommy caught a fly ball that day"..Date/Place. and that is all. I am actually lucky I get the photos into the albums. (still have hudreds to mark up and slip in).

I would have totally said "How Cute! This has GOT to go in your baby book because J made it herself!"

Stacey said...

Queen of M & Maureen - Can I just mail the package to either of you and you'll do it on my behalf? I won't tell if you won't tell. And you'll be helping to preserve my sanity in the process - what more could you want ;)

Anonymous said...

I bought some scrapbooking supplies three years ago and have never touched them. It just isn't my thing at all. My nerdy indulgence is knitting (and blogging, of course).

-andi

Virtualsprite said...

I think it's cute.

I'm an obsessive scrapbooker. My kids all make fun of me. Now when I take photos of whatever they're doing, my stepdaughter will yell, "Make it good! It's for the scrapbook."

They laugh, but we'll see how much they laugh when I use it to embarass their prom dates.