Thursday, December 29, 2011

I have this problem

I have this problem. I can't stop planning...things.

I don't know what it is about me but I manage to agree to plan a lot of stuff - which frankly doesn't make a lot of sense when I don't have a tremendous amount of spare time.

I guess I've always been a ridiculous organizer/planner type of my kid's birthday parties. They must have a theme and everything must fall in line with that theme. Oh and I plan two parties per year at work. But still that didn't exactly seem overwhelming.

But then somewhere along the line that developed into something more. Last school year, I decided I wouldn't just be a sideline PTA member (read paying for membership but not volunteering). I decided I would actually volunteer. And I didn't just volunteer I chaired two committees.

Just this past summer after our family reunion ended, I agreed to plan the next one. I'm not sure what crazy overtook me at that point- but I'm confident it involved crazy because that involves a whole lot of people in a whole bunch of different states and travel and food and Oy. My head hurts thinking about it.

And if that wasn't enough a few months ago when I heard no one stepped up to plan the school auction -I did it. Some little voice in my head told me it would be fun. In reality it's been 60% fun 40% stress.

So here's where you armchair psychologists get to diagnose me. Why am I a big old nutball that takes on things that inevitably stress me out yet as soon as one is over I jump right into the next with little more than a month to rest ?

I know, I need help, right? I am a mystery to myself.

And on that note, Happy New Year my friends. I'm telling myself I will blog more in 2012

(And there's yet another committment - someone break out the straightjacket. Now)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read a book by Joyce Myers where she talks about living with what she calls 'margins' in your life. Or in other words, live life, BUT, don't forget to set aside enough time to for rest and fun. Maybe you should consider a self imposed 'vacation' from volunteering for ANYTHING!??? I'm sure if you try this, you'll be pleasantly surprised when the SKY DOESN'T FALL!

Virtualsprite said...

I do the same thing. I can't help myself. Today I tried to talk my husband into allowing me to create a form for him to track his friends. He wisely said no.

Elisa @ Crazy, Amazing Life said...

I think some of us thrive under pressure, even we it doesn't feel like it. Either that,. or we are simply masochists. Or saints. Take your pick ;-)

neha said...



I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles.

I will bookmark your blog and have my children check up here often.
I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else

Thanks

lubricating oils supplier